They never biodegrade, they kill marine life, and they overburden landfills. Plastics are very convenient and are also the bane of all life on Earth. Within the last few years, microplastics (MPs), were discovered and identified as small and toxic at a microscopic level. Now, scientists have found nanoplastics (NPs), which are even smaller and more toxic.
The ubiquitous (plastic) bottled water was the subject of a study by toxicologists. They found that 90% of microscopic plastic particles are nanoplatics. Since they are smaller than microplastics, they find their way into vital systems more easily. According to the study, they found that 10 million nanoplastics can fill a space of less than 1/2 inch.